An O Ring is a doughnut-shaped seal that prevents the loss of gas or fluid in various machine parts and keeps foreign objects out. The seals are made of elastomers that allow them to deform and return to their original shape when pressure is applied and removed. They come in multiple configurations that vary in material depending on the application and factors like temperature resistance, durability and chemical compatibility.
In addition to springs and many fastening options, TFC is also a leading supplier of high-quality O-rings from leading brands that are tried, tested and certified to the highest international standards for optimum performance. We offer a vast range of O-rings solutions that include;
Static Vs. Dynamic O-rings
We have an extensive selection of O-rings designed to match the unique needs of every application and machine they fit. The types of O-rings vary based on various factors, including the type of material used to make the seal, but the variety can be condensed into two main groups – dynamic and static O-rings.
Dynamic O-rings feature between two moving parts, creating a seal to prevent the liquid or gas within the moving parts from leaking. This type of ring requires more flexible and malleable materials that can conform to the moving parts to create the perfect seal, but it is created from hard-wearing materials because it is under constant abrasion from the moving part.
Static O-rings differ in design and application from their dynamic counterparts. This type of O-ring contacts two or more static surfaces. Because the contact surfaces do not move, static O-rings don’t need to meet the high-performance standards of dynamic O-rings and are often made from less hard-wearing materials. However, they can be matched to the application requirements in question.
Benefits of O-rings
O-rings exhibit various features customised to the unique needs of every application, providing various benefits such as;
- Versatility – O-rings are highly functional. Some typical applications for O-rings include high-pressure hydraulic systems and pneumatic systems. We can supply the rings in various shapes, sizes, and materials matched to the application in question.
- Durable and long-lasting – We only supply O-rings made from the best quality materials and tested to international standards. The rings are designed to withstand extreme pressure, temperature and chemical exposure. Although pliable and flexible, O-rings can withstand harsh environments with minimal wear and tear.
- Easy to install and replace – Subject to their location on the machine, O-rings are relatively easy to install and require minimal maintenance. They are cost-effective and quick to replace, largely without any specialised tools, saving you downtime on the equipment.
- High performance – O-rings create a tight seal between two surfaces, effectively preventing the leakage of fluids or gases. They feature in high-performance applications like hydraulic and pneumatic systems where fluid or gas loss can lead to catastrophic failure of the equipment.
- Gradual deterioration – Quality O-rings rarely fail suddenly. An O-ring failure happens gradually, it’s visible and alerts you in good time of the need to replace the O-rings. It prevents sudden failure of equipment and gives you fair notice of the need to replace the failing O-ring in good time.
Applications of O-rings
O-rings seals are extremely versatile with function in almost every major industry, including;
- Food and beverage
Depending on the designs and material of the ring seal, its applications can vary across various functions such as;
Functions of O Rings
O-ring purchases must be carefully planned to ensure the O-ring purchased corresponds to the environment the seal will perform.
Different O-rings have various temperature tolerances based on their materials and design. The breakdown of O-ring seal materials and their temperature tolerances is as follows;
- Nitrile: -500C to 1200C
- Hydrogenated nitrile : -450C to 1500C
- Polyacrylate: -250C to 1750C
- Ethylene-propylene: -500C to 1350C
- Chloroprene: -400C t0 1200C
- Butyl: -550C to 2050C
- Fluorosilicone: -600C to 2050C
- Fluorocarbon: -250C to 2050C
High-pressure resistance is a significant requirement for industrial O-rings. They must also provide reliable performance in dynamic environments and at high temperatures. Design and manufacturing quality are critical for the O-rings to work optimally in harsh industrial environments, and the seal must be made from specific materials.
O-rings designed for high-pressure sealing must create predictable deformation patterns around the perimeter of the gasket and its groove to create uniform mechanical stress on all the contacting surfaces on an O-ring.
These are O-rings declared and approved and officially declared as “food safe.” They can be used in the production of meals, beverages, dining, and food and beverage storage products.
O-rings for CO2
Carbon dioxide presents many challenges for O-rings. Softer materials tend to absorb the gas over time and swell up, leading to unreliable seals in the short term. The CO2 can also cause the seal to start breaking down from within. Polyurethane, PTFE, fluoroelastomers and nitrile are some of the preferred materials when making O-rings for CO2 applications.
TFC also supplies O-rings from leading brands for engines, plumbers, and aircraft. We have a dedicated design team to help you design bespoke O-rings for unique applications.
Partner with TFC
TFC is a strategic partner in the supply and supply chain management industry, specialising in various seals, springs and fastening solutions. We have over six decades of providing our clients with bespoke and high-quality seal solutions by collaborating with the most reputable industry giants in the respective industries.
In conjunction with AFC, our parent company, TFC, delivers superior and efficient seals and fastening solutions for conventional and customised applications.
TFC also offers an efficient supply management system for C-Class seal solutions for smoother running and cost-effective vendor operations. With over six decades of experience, we provide efficient and timely deliveries with an integrated approach that saves you unnecessary warehouse expenses while ensuring you meet your supply demands.